Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trip around the Lake

We were excited about practicing "attachment parenting". But, holding Solly in summertime lends itself to sweaty bodies. This, and the fact that we tend to overheat one other, is what led us to put him in the stroller a little more than our attachment parenting ideas would have allowed. Rachel has developed a routine such that after she drops me off to catch the 7 AM bus to San Francisco, she takes a long walk with Solly. So we are logging a good 3-5 miles a day on that stroller while getting daily exercise (OK, not we, more like just Rachel).

Over the past weekend, it was another hot day but we were looking to get out of the house for a hike. But where? With so many trails and bike paths around San Rafael it seems inconceivable that we struggled to think of a smooth wide pathway with little elevation gain and mostly shade. Finally we came up with one: trail around Lake Lagunitas. It was fantastic! Solly loves looking at the dark shapes of Redwoods and Doug Fir as we travel beneath them. Also, at Lake Lagunitas are mostly other walkers, no bad feelings toward the mountain bikers but I've got a little baby now so I try to stay out of their way. Actually, I hope taking Solly out into nature early encourages his hiking or mountain biking gene.

When Solly needed to nurse, we found a fabulous little spot near the lake and watched a great Blue Heron (one of Rachel's favorites) on the shore.



This may sound funny but carrying baby Sol while hiking is one of the most empowering feelings that I have felt. Its like my hiking boots are made of helium or bouncy rubber. Or maybe I just want to show him everything so that I can see his look of wonder...there will be plenty of years of that I hope.

1 comment: